• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Question about company car contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about company car contract

Hello
    I have recently been given a lovely brand new mini as a company car. It is on a 3 year lease and is costing the company £190pm. My employer wants me to sign an agreement that says that if I was to leave before the 3 years are up that I would pay half of the monthly payment for however many months are left of the 3 years lease. I havnt any plans to leave this job in the foreseeable future but I really don't want to sign that agreement!!
    Does anyone have any advice about this and how can I reply to my employer?
    many thanks
    Kimmi
    Tags: None

Re: Question about company car contract

Would you keep the car ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst no I wouldn't keep the car.
      My replacement would not necessarily want to take on the company car and would prefer to use their own car and receive a car allowance instead so I can see why they might be worried that they could be left with a car that they are paying for but is not being used.

Comment

If they've already taken on the lease, then they can't force you to agree to pay the half the monthly instalments for the remaining 3 years, and it would seem unfair that you have to cover any remaining balance even after you leave. That being said, if you've been there less than two years they could make things difficult for you in terms of threatening to get rid of you or other reasons.

They really should have got you to sign something prior to them getting the lease. As the contract is between your employer and the lease company, has nothing to do with you in terms of liability - unless there is some kind of company car policy that has been incorporated into your employment contract
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rob.
          I didn't think that they could insist that I agree to that part.
          I don't think that my job will be at risk if I say no as I am the best sales rep that they have ever had !
          I just wish that I could come up with an idea that would make my employer feel happy with his side of things.

Comment

Do check your employment contract to see if it mentions anything in relation to a company car or policy, as anything in there may incorporate terms that requires you to agree to what the employer is trying to make you do if you accepted a company car.
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The company should have a car policy either incorporated into your terms and conditions of employment or as a separate policy that should have been provided to you. As [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] says you should have a look at this and see what it says.

I have to say that in my experience I have not heard of someone being asked to pay the monthly lease costs should they leave the company prior to the end of the lease period. A car is provided either as a means to carry out the role for which a person is employed or as a benefit of being at a certain level of seniority. I presume as a sales person the reason you have been given a car is the latter in which case if you left it would be available for your replacement who in doing the same job would require a vehicle.

Either way if it on a lease agreement which is between the company and the car provider and you should not be asked to pay half the monthly cost if you leave.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X