Thread: Mercedes Benz VT Process

• Display
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Mercedes Benz VT Process

Hello,

I moved from the UK to Sweden about 7 months ago. I still have a Mercedes on PCP in the UK, its currently sat in a garage doing nothing but costing me a lot each month for both the finance and insurance. I've been reading the posts on this forum for sometime now ahead of me starting the VT process to try and familiarise myself with the process and what to expect.

I am ready to start begin the VT process ASAP but have a few questions. Sorry if these questions are super obvious I just don't want to mess this process up and end up having to pay Mercedes any more than I need to.

As I live in Sweden doing this process via post is going to be way to slow, it can often take over a week for letters to get her from the UK. Does anyone know if finance companies (Mercedes in this case) are willing to deal with the VT process via email? I'm hoping I can just inform them of my situation and that I would prefer all communication via email.

My second question is that I am not yet at the 50% mark, I estimate that I'm around ~£1,500 short of the half way mark. Should I acknowledge this when I initially contact Mercedes or do I just wait for them to tell me I owe them some money.

Cheers for any help in advanced.

Shaun

Mentioned
    519 Post(s)

Default Re: Mercedes Benz VT Process

Hi Shaun,

The legal requirement is to provide notice to Mercedes but it must be in writing. Therefore email can be a form of notice and I would suggest that if you do send by email, you perhaps send it to a customer services email address or maybe there is an email set out in your agreement. You might also want to mention that you are currently living in Sweden and the appropriate method of communication is by email.

You will also want to consider someone acting on your behalf if possible to hand over the car to Mercedes, and if you already know this person then you can mention the person's name in there though if you do, you should explicitly specify that the only authority the person has is to hand the car over (and not to sign any documentation).

Nothing wrong if you know how much it is outstanding but as a double check you might want to call them and see if they can confirm how much has been paid to date and see if your maths matches theirs - it might be less than you think is outstanding. Either way, if you can afford to pay it you can pay by direct bank transfer or arrange for a cheque to be sent.

If you are not able to pay for the outstanding amount in one go then again you could mention it in your notice and suggest a reasonable repayment plan.
    DISCLAIMER: As a public forum, the content posted by me is intended as guidance in relation to your rights and responsibilities. It does not constitute legal advice or create any kind of special or other relationship. If you follow guidance, advice or other information I publish then you do so at your own risk and cost, and I cannot accept any liability. You should always seek independent legal advice by going to Law Society's Find A Solicitor or contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Re: Mercedes Benz VT Process

Thanks for getting back to me @R0b - the email with your template letter attached when off this morning.

Lets see what they say.